Distribution of Programmed TE & TA Funds by Category
Combined TE/TA Funds by Fiscal Year
For help with this chart please see the TE Primer.
State DOT Program Staff
State DOT TA Coordinator
TA Program Manager
Local Government Division
North Dakota Dept. of Transportation
608 East Blvd Ave
Bismark, ND 58505-0700
FHWA Division TA Coordinator
TE Program Contact
1471 Interstate Loop
Bismark, ND 58501
TA Program Structure, Policies, and Procedures
- TA program structure: The program is run through a statewide competitive process and all potential projects are reviewed by the TAP Project Selection Committee.
- Who is eligible to apply: City and County Governments, transit agencies, natural resource or public land agencies, schools, tribal governments, and any other local or regional governmental entity with responsibility for or oversight of transportation or recreational trails.
- Application information: The application instructions can be found online.
- Application timeline: Applications must be received by the NDDOT on January 23, 2015.
- Application components: Project name, location, contact, sponsor, description, cost, eligible activities, supporting data, public accessibility, matching funds provided by, will right of way for this project be needed?, maintenance provided by, environmental impacts, signatures, and extra attachments.
- Selection criteria: Must relate to surface transportation. Does the project provide benefits to the community/region/state, provide benefits to the existing transportation systems, provide a higher impact or benefit as compared to the other projects, solves a problem, have public support, have a sense of urgency, part of an identified plan, provide a benefit to a large segment of the population or transportation disadvantaged, use of a youth conservation service, or increase safety.
- Application tips: Applications must be submitted to the NDDOT through one of the following entities: A board of county commissioners for cities under 5,000 population, A city over 5,000 population, Bureau of Indian Affairs, Transit Agencies, and Federal and State Agencies.
- Is there an advisory committee?: Yes.
- Advisory committee members: 12 members come from: schools, cities over 5,000 populations, cities under 5,000 population, ND Parks & Rec, ND Department of Commerce (Division of Tourism), ND Indian Affairs Commission, ND Forest Service, MPOs, ND Department of Public Instruction, State Historical Society of ND, and NDDOT.
- Project award minimum: None.
- Project award maximum: $200,000 for rural projects, $290,000 for urban projects.
- Typical local match: 20%
- Matching policies: The state accepts in-kind match on a case-by-case basis.
- Once your project is funded: If your project is selected, you will be responsible for obtaining the necessary environmental clearances. This will involve the preparation of an Environmental Document, which will include, but is not limited to, a thorough discussion of the need for the project, what the project entails, geometric design description, environmental impacts and coordination with local, state and federal agencies. You are responsible for preparing the projects plans and specifications. When your plans and specifications are complete, NDDOT will request the Federal Highway Administration to authorize spending the TAP funds. Projects must be ready for construction during the 2015 construction season. TAP federal funds will be lost if not authorized by the Federal Highway Administration before September 30, 2015. Therefore, all final plans and bid documents must be submitted to the NDDOT no later than August 15, 2015. If you do not meet this date your award of funds will be rescinded.
This profile and the charts are drawn from a database maintained by the Transportation Alternatives Data Exchange at the Rails-to-Trails Conservancy and are based on data provided by the States and FHWA. If there is an error or an update is needed for this profile please let us know about it. Direct questions and comments to TrADE @ RTC at 202-974-5135 or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org
TrADE last updated this profile on: 03/26/2015